וַיֹּאמְרוּ כֹּל אֲשֶׁר דִּבֶּר ה’ נַעֲשֶׂה וְנִשְׁמָע: (שמות כד:ז)
[The people] responded, “We will do and we will learn everything that Jehovah has spoken.” Exodus 24:7
The Torah brings us the Law of the Most High Divine Creator. It is God’s given Word for mankind. Mosheh took the Book of the Covenant (Exodus 24:7) and read in the hearing of the people. And they said,
“All that יהוה has spoken we shall do, and obey.”
By saying so the Jewish people declared that they were prepared not only to listen to those Words the Almighty had spoken but also to obey or to submit to them. They agreed to live law-abiding and to carry out that what God demanded from them.
So many centuries later are we still willing to say
“we will do”
“we will learn”
The Jewish people though they had declared that they were prepared to fulfil God’s will unconditionally – accepting His mitzvot even before they knew what they were, in the years following proved that it was not so evident.
For us to it might not always so easy. We should know that for each of us the Words of God still count. It is still on the condition of that commitment that God continues to “give us the Torah” today – i.e., revealing Himself and His will to us as we study the Torah and perform its commandments.
Our rational thinking may delude us with the tricks many people present to us. Conventional thinking may deem it irrational to commit oneself to a contract before the terms of the contract are spelled out. But let us not forget that those people before had heard what God wanted from them and had seen the wonder-works He caused to let others know His Ratzon or Will.
On more than one occasion God had shown how He wanted to be with man; how He wanted to have people who belonged to Him and who were willing to show they where God’s People.
Man does not have to think they can not connect with their Creator. The Creator loves a proper connection with His creation. Wanting to have a sincere loving connection with His creation He gives signs and calls to it. The Most High, Who no human being can see is called to come to connect. Each of us can indeed connect to God as He reveals Himself within creation without first committing ourselves to do whatever He wants.
The world is given The Word of God, the Tanakh, several books with words to think about. Every human being has received brains to use and as such has the ability to decipher the things he got presented by other people, but also to come to understand those words given in those set apart Writings.
We may not forget that each of us has received brains and a heart, to think and to feel. Those two combined are our means to connect with others but also to connect with the Most High Who allows us to be and Who gives us our ‘being’ because He is ‘The Being’. Without Him there is no life possible. Without Him there is no thinking possible. Without Him there is no life at all.
Because the Almighty is beyond creation and rationality, we who want to connect with Him should come to a higher level than the earthly level. We should come to rise above the limits of rationality. Therefore, nowadays, just as when the Torah was first given, the way we connect with God Himself is by devoting ourselves to His Torah unconditionally.
|Likutei Sichot, vol. 23, p. 92 ff; Sichot Kodesh 5739, vol. 3, pp. 295–297; Igrot Kodesh, vol. 7, p. 28; Hitva’aduyot 5748, vol. 3 pp. 234–235; Sichot Kodesh 5741, vol. 4, pp. 31–32.|
- Adar 6, Matan Torah remembering the giving of Torah
- Reading to grow and to become wise concerning the most important thing in life 1 Times of reading
- Reading to grow and to become wise concerning the most important thing in life 2 Prophetic and poetic writers
- Reading to grow and to become wise concerning the most important thing in life 4 Words giving us wisdom and encouragement
- A Tool to shed light over the qualities in our life 1 Inner feelings
- Not studying an abstract and arcane text of the ancient world
- Best intimate relation to look for
- No other god besides Jehovah who gives all explanation
- Creator and Blogger God 4 Expounding voice
- Trusting, Faith, calling and Ascribing to Jehovah #3 Voice of God #3 A voice to be taken Seriously
- Deuteronomy 4- Is God in Close Proximity?
- Failing Man to make free choice
- Memorizing wonderfully 9 Keeping the commandments 1
- Memorizing wonderfully 10 Keeping the commandments 2
- Seven lights or basic emotions
- God’s Spirit is like a Broadcasting Station, broadcasting all the time. You Just have to learn to Tune In!
- Why Did God Give the Law?
- Obey God And Be Blessed
- Obey God + Whatever God has told you to do, you must follow through
- God is ready
- Obey God to Abide in Him
- 4 Reasons Why We Don’t Obey God
- What Should Christians Learn From Noah?
- Thy Way, Not Mine, O Lord
- Video: How to connect with God when you’re feeling distant
- How to Connect with God without Going to Church
- PINK says what many of us are afraid to – the tie between God and the song, What about us?
- How do Christians Connect with God? (2) may bring some confusion because the writer believes God would have come to earth to fake his temptation and his death.
- Connect With God Today
- 3 Ways Prayer Connects Us To God which comes to the conclusion that “Prayer really is the link that connects us with God.”
- Breathe, Center, Pray.
- 5 Remarkable Lessons You Need to Learn About Prayer